See our post featuring artist John T. McCoy’s rendering of the Dixie Clipper here.
PORT WASHINGTON, U.S.A. PAA AIRPORT NO. B-335-4
REMARKS: Station operated by Pan American Airways – At present used as port of entry for U.S.A.-Bermuda services by Pan American Airways & Imperial Airways -
Image from the Pan American World Airways, Inc. Records, Archives and Special Collections Department at the University of Miami.
To commemorate the achievement of the first commercial survey flights made across the North Atlantic jointly by Pan American Airways and Imperial Airways*
*Forerunner of British Overseas Airways Corporation
Piloted by Captain Harold E. Gray, the Pan American Sikorsky S-42B Clipper flying boat departed from Port Washington and arrived at Foynes, Ireland, July 9, 1937.
Piloted by Captain Arthur S. Wilcockson, the Imperial Airways Short ‘G’ Class flying boat “Caledonia” arrived at Port Washington on this date from Foynes.
Thus was pioneered the beginning of a new era in communications between the peoples of the world.
Erected by the Wings Club, 1969.
Photo courtesy of Will Wright.
The hangar floors were absolutely without a grease spot on them anywhere, the docks and floats were freshly painted, and a big signal mast with the national colors flying. It was quite a handsome base altogether.
- William Masland
Photo from the Pan American World Airways, Inc. Records, held at the University of Miami.
This flight had left from Port Washington the day before, captained by R. O. D. Sullivan, with 22 passengers on board.
From Pan American’s “Historic First Flights of Pan American Clippers” series.