Port Washington Aviation History


Republic Aviation Corporation, Plant No. 2

fom044Responding to a high volume of orders from the US government, the Republic Aviation Corporation opened a plant in Port Washington in 1951 to manufacture wings for its F84F Thunderstreak and RF-84F and F-105 jet fighter bombers.  Employing over 3,000 people, 10% of them were Port Washington residents.

Photo of the northern hangar seen from the west, circa 1953.  From the collection of the Cradle of Aviation Museum.

June 8th, 2009 · No Comments · Aircraft Manufacturing

There are no comments yet...please fill out the form below.

Leave a Comment