There are two types of memberships available:
- RESIDENTS OF PORT WASHINGTON: Residents of the Port Washington School District may fill out application form online or at the library. The application is processed and a card mailed to the resident at his/her home address. There is no fee for this card (although there is a $1.00 fee for replacing a lost card).
- EMPLOYED IN PORT WASHINGTON: A person employed in Port Washington must enter his/her place of employment, employer’s address and telephone number as indicated on the application form. The library verifies the employment, processes the card and mails it to the employee’s home address. There is no fee for this card (there is a $1.00 fee for replacing a lost card). This card must be updated yearly upon verification of employment. This card may only be used at PWPL and cannot be used for direct access borrowing at other libraries.
Library Borrowing Policies
Port Washington Public Library card holders (resident, employed in Port Washington, paying non-resident and summer resident) have full borrowing privileges. Reference books may not be borrowed. Card holders from other Nassau Library System member libraries (Direct Access borrowers) may use their cards at any library in the system to borrow books and other materials (varies depending on library). Card holders may also ask their home libraries to obtain materials from us via interloan.
Fines and Fees
- Children’s items (except DVDs): 5 cents per day per item
- Children’s DVDs: $1.00 per day per item
- DVDs: $1.00 per day per item
- Museum Pass : $2.00 per day
- Playaways: 10 cents per day per item
- All other Adult and Young Adult items: 10 cents per day per item
- Replacement library card: $1.00