Critical / Bibliographical Books and Pamphlets
Time to Murder and Create : The Contemporary Novel in Crisis / by John W. Aldridge — New York : McKay, [c1966]
The Swedish Acceptance of American Literature / by Carl L. Anderson — Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Pr., [c1957]
A Literary History of Iowa / Clarence A. Andrews — Iowa City : University of Iowa Pr., 1972.
The Tone of the Twenties, and Other Essays / by Charles Angoff — South Brunswick, [N.J.] : Barnes, [c1966]
– Includes a chapter on Lewis, and a chapter on Dorothy Thompson.
Amerikas Dichter / Julius Bab — Berlin : Christian-Verlag, 
– Includes a chapter on Lewis, and a list of Lewis’s novels available in German.
Poor Richard’s Legacy / Peter Baida — New York : Morrow, c1990.
– Includes a chapter on Lewis.
The Men who Make our Novels / Charles C. Baldwin — rev. ed. — New York : Dodd, Mead, 1924.
American Fiction, 1920-1940 / Joseph Warren Beach — New York : Russell & Russell, 1960, [c1941]
The Literary Guide to the United States / Stewart Benedict, consulting editor — Poole : Blandford Pr., 1981.
The Strike in the American Novel / by Fay Montaug Blake — Los Angeles : University of California, 1970.
– Bound doctoral thesis.
Sinclair Lewis / edited and with an introduction by Harold Bloom — New York : Chelsea House, 1987.
– “The best criticism available upon the novels of Sinclair Lewis … reprinted here in chronological order of [its] original publication.” — Editor’s note.
Sinclair Lewis’s Arrowsmith / edited and with an introduction by Harold Bloom — New York : Chelsea House, 1988.
The Young Rebel in American Literature : Seven Lectures / edited by Carl Bode — London : Heinemann, 
– Includes “Sinclair Lewis, a Lost Romantic” by Geoffrey Moore.
Under Cover: An Illustrated History of American Mass-market Paperbacks / by Thomas L. Bonn — New York : Penguin, 1982.
– The first Avon paperback (1941) was an edition of Elmer Gantry.
Portraits; Real and Imaginary; Being Memories and Impressions of Friends and Contemporaries … / by Ernest Boyd — New York : Doran, [c1924]
– Lewis is described as “the sales executive of the new American literature.”
Purity in Print / Paul S. Boyer — New York : Scribner’s, c1968.
– Includes an account of Boston’s 1927 ban on sales of Elmer Gantry.
More Contemporary Americans / by Percy H. Boynton — Chicago : U. of Chicago Pr., [c1927]
An Autobiography / Van Wyck Brooks — New York : Dutton, 1965.
– A one-volume edition of the author’s three books of memoirs originally published in 1954, 1957 and 1961.
From a Writer’s Notebook / by Van Wyck Brooks — New York : Dutton, 1958.
Our Literary Heritage / by Van Wyck Brooks — New York : Dutton, [c1956]
– Includes a chapter on Lewis, illustrated with photographs.
Sinclair Lewis und die Endgultige Emanzipation der Amerikanischen Literatur / Eberhard Bruning — Berlin : Akademie-Verlag, 1982.
Critical Essays on Sinclair Lewis / [edited by] Martin Bucco — Boston : Hall, c1986. — (Critical essays on American literature)
Sinclair Lewis and the Fortress of Reality / Frederic I. Carpenter — [Urbana, Ill.] : College English, 1955.
– “Reprinted from College English, April 1955″
Books and Battles / Irene and Allen Cleaton — Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 1937.
– Includes many references to Main Street.
Books that Changed our Minds / edited by Malcolm Cowley and Bernard Smith — New York : Doubleday, Doran, 1939.
Exile’s Return / by Malcolm Cowley — New York : Norton, 1934.
– A study of the “lost generation.”
Exile’s Return / Malcolm Cowley ; introduction by Leon Edel — New York : The Limited Editions Club, 1981.
– Signed by Cowley and by photographer Berenice Abbott.
Forays and Rebuttals / Bernard De Voto — Boston : Little, Brown, 1936.
– Includes De Voto’s review of Ann Vickers, which first appeared in the Jan. 28, 1933 issue of the Saturday Review.
[De Voto] Four Portraits and one Subject, Bernard De Voto — Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 1963.
– A collection of appreciative essays.
Mark Twain’s America / by Bernard De Voto — Boston : Little, Brown and Co., 1935.
Best Books of our Time, 1901-1925 / compiled by Asa Don Dickinson — Garden City, N.Y. : Doubleday, 1928.
– With brief reviews of Main Street, Babbitt and Arrowsmith.
Bibliography of Limited and Signed Editions in Literature … / by Larry Dingman — Stillwater, Minn. : J. Cummings, c1973.
The Art of Sinclair Lewis / by D.J. Dooley — Lincoln : U. of Nebraska Pr., 
American Fiction in Finland / Philip Durham and Tauno F. Mustanoja — Helsinki : Societe Neophilologique, 1960.
Die Amerikanische Literatur / von Walther Fischer — Wilpark-Potsdam : Akademische Verlagsgesellschaft Athenaion, c1929.
Sinclair Lewis Interprets America / E.M. Forster — 1st ed. — [Cambridge, Mass.] : Harvard U. Pr., 
Salvos : An Informal Book about Books and Plays / Waldo Frank –New York : Boni and Liveright, c1924.
Norms for the Novel / Harold C. Gardiner — rev. ed. — Garden City, N.Y. : Hanover House, [c1960]
– “A guide to the moral evaluation of creative literature.”
American Moderns, from Rebellion to Conformity / by Maxwell Geismar — New York : Hill & Wang, c1958.
– Includes a chapter on Lewis entitled “Diarist of the Middle-class Mind.”
The Last of the Provincials / by Maxwell Geismar — Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 1947.
– Includes “Sinclair Lewis : The Cosmic Bourjoyce.”
The Patterns of English and American Fiction / by Gordon Hall Gerould — Boston : Little, Brown and Co., c1942.
Treasures of the Library of Congress / by Charles A. Goodrum — New York : Abrams, 1980.
Purpose and Place / by Douglas Grant — London : Macmillan ; New York : St. Martin’s, 1965.
Sinclair Lewis / by Sheldon Norman Grebstein — New York : Twayne, [c1962] — (Twayne’s United States authors series ; 14)
Twentieth Century Interpretations of Arrowsmith / edited by Robert J. Griffin — Englewood Cliffs, N.J. : Prentice-Hall, c1968.
Fifty Years of Best Sellers, 1895-1945 / Alice Payne Hackett — New York : Bowker, 1945.
Sixty Years of Best Sellers, 1895-1955 / Alice Payne Hackett — New York : Bowker, 1956.
Banned Books; Informal Notes on Some Books Banned for Various Reasons… / Anne Lyon Haight — 2nd ed. — New York : Bowker, 1955.
– Mentions 5 of Lewis’s novels: Elmer Gantry; Ann Vickers; It Can’t Happen Here; Cass Timberlane; Kingsblood Royal.
Comstockery in America; Patterns of Censorship and Control / Robert W. Haney — Boston : Beacon Pr., [c1960]
Sinclair Lewis / by Oliver Harrison [Harrison Smith] — [limited ed.] — New York : Harcourt, Brace and Company, 
– “Of this edition 500 copies have been printed for presentaiton to the American Booksellers Convention / Chicago / 1925″
– Smith was commissioned by Alfred Harcourt to write this piece prior to the publication of Arrowsmith.
Sinclair Lewis / by Oliver Harrison [Harrison Smith] — New York : Harcourt, Brace and Company, 
Sinclair Lewis / by Oliver Harrison [Harrison Smith] — reprint ed. — Folcroft, Pa. : Folcroft Library Editions, 1973.
The Foreground of American Fiction / by Harry Hartwick — New York : American Book Co., c1934.
– Includes a chapter on Lewis entitled “The Village Virus.”
An Indictment of Sinclair Lewis / Alexander Harvey — [192-?]
– Reprinted from the New York Herald Tribune.
Creating the Modern American Novel / by Harlan Hatcher — New York : Farrar & Rinehart, [c1935]
The Revolt from the Village, 1915-1930 / by Anthony C. Hilfer –Chapel Hill : U. of North Carolina Pr., [c1967]
– Includes 2 chapter on Lewis: “Sinclair Lewis; Caricaturist of the Village Mind”; “Elmer Gantry and that Old-time Religion.”
Drama was a Weapon : The Left-wing Theatre in New York, 1929-1941 / by Morgan Y. Himelstein — New Brunswick, N.J. : Rutgers U. Pr., c1963.
– With an account of the 1936 Federal Theatre productions of It Can’t Happen Here.
The Twenties : Americna Writing in the Postwar Decade / by Frederick J. Hoffman — New York : Viking, 1955.
The Pulitzer Prizes / John Hohenberg — New York : Columbia U. Pr., 1974.
The Critic’s Credentials : Essays and Reviews / by Stanley Edgar Hyman — New York : Atheneum, 1978.
– Includes a chapter on Lewis entitled “Anthropologist of Gopher Prairie.”
High Spots of American Literature / by Merle Johnson — [reprint ed.] — Austin : Jenkins Pub., 1971.
– “First printed in 1929 in a limited edition by Bennett Book Studios” — t.p. verso
Sixteen Authors to One; Intimate Sketches of Leading American Story Tellers / David Karsner — New York : L. Copeland, 1928.
Contemporaries / Alfred Kazin — Boston : Little, Brown, c1962.
– Includes an essay on Grace Hegger Lewis’s With Love from Gracie : Sinclair Lewis, 1912-1925.
Books I Love; Being a Selection of 100 Titles… / John Kieran — Garden City, N.Y. : Doubleday, 1969.
– With a discussion of Lewis’s novels, and an account of Kieran’s last meeting with him.
Sinclair Lewis / Hans Kriese — Frauenfeld : Verlag Von Huber, 
Men of Destiny / by Walter Lippmann ; drawings by Rollin Kirby — [1st ed.] — New York : Macmillan, 1927.
– “Of this edition two hundred and fifty copies have been printed, each signed by the author and illustrator, of which this is number [holograph] 160.” Leaves unopened.
Contemporary American Literature and Religion / by Halford E. Luccock — Chicago ; New York : Willett, Clark & Co., 1934.
The Merrill Guide to Sinclair Lewis / James Lundquist — Columbus, Ohio : Merrill, 
Sinclair Lewis / James Lundquist — New York : Ungar, [1972, c1973]
American Dreams, American Nightmares / edited by David Madden –Carbondale : Southern Illinois U. Pr., [c1970]
– Includes “Sinclair Lewis and Western Humor.”
H.L. Mencken and the Debunkers / Edward A. Martin — Athens : U. of Georgia Pr., c1984.
Published Screenplays : A Checklist / by Clifford McCarty — [Kent] : U. of Ohio Pr., [c1971]
– With a reference to Storm in the West by Lewis and Dore Schary (1963).
The Bathtub Hoax; and other Blasts and Bravos from the Chicago Tribune / by H.L. Mencken ; edited by Robert McHugh — New York : Knopf, 1958.
– Includes Mencken’s review of Elmer Gantry.
The American Political Novel / Gordon Milne — Norman : U. of Oklahoma Pr., 
– With an analysis of It Can’t Happen Here.
Golden Multitudes; the Story of Best Sellers in the United States / Frank Luther Mott — New York : Macmillan, 1947.
Great and Good Books : A Bibliographical Catalogue of the Limited Editions Club, 1929-1985 / compiled by Ralph G. Newman and Glen N. Wiche ; preface by Mortimer Adler — Chicago : R.G. Newman, 1989.
– Copy 267 of a limited edition of 500 copies.
Bibliography of Bibliographies in American Literature / by Charles H. Nilon — New York : Bowker, 1970.
Constant Reader / Dorothy Parker — New York : Viking, c1970.
Sinclair Lewis, our own Diogenes / by Vernon Louis Parrington –Seattle : University of Washington Book Store, 1927. — (University of Washington Chapbooks ; No. 5)
Sinclair Lewis, our own Diogenes / by Vernon Louis Parrington –reprint ed. — Folcroft, Pa. : Folcroft Library Editions, 1977.
A Bibliography of American Literature Translated into Romanian / Thomas A. Perry — New York : Philosophical Library, c1984.
With Eye and Ear / Kenneth Rexroth — [New York] : Herder and Herder, 
Arrowsmith : Notes… / by Salibelle Royster — Lincoln, Neb. : Cliffs Notes, c1964.
The Idea of an American Novel / edited by Louis D. Rubin, Jr. and John R. Moore — New York : Crowell, 
– With a review of Main Street.
View from this Wilderness : American Literature as History / John Sanford — Santa Barbara : Capra Pr., c1977.
– Includes an essay on Lewis entitled “The Man who Wrote Blank Prose.”
Sinclair Lewis; a Collection of Critical Essays / edited by Mark Schorer — Englewood Cliffs, N.J. : Prentice-Hall, [c1962]
The Significance of Sinclair Lewis / Stuart P. Sherman — New York : Harcourt, Brace and Company, 
– Sherman was commissioned by Alfred Harcourt to write this piece prior to the publication of Babbitt.
The Book of the Month : Sixty Years of Books in American Life / edited by Al Silverman — Boston : Little Brown, c1986.
Sinclair Lewis: An Exhibition from the Grace Hegger Lewis / Sinclair Lewis Collection — Austin : University of Texas, 1960.
Literary History of the United States / edited by Robert E. Spiller [et. al.] — New York : Macmillan, 1953.
Best Loved Books of the Twentieth Century / by Vincent Starrett — New York : Bantam Bks., 1955.
Yea and Nay; a Series of Lectures and Counter-lectures Given at the London School of Economics… / edited by David Stelling — London : Brentano’s Ltd., 
– With numerous references to Main Street.
Babbitts and Bohemians; the American 1920s / Elizabeth Stevenson — New York : Macmillan, [c1967]
Figures in the Foreground / by Frank Swinnerton — Garden City, N.Y. : Doubleday, 1964.
A History of “The Freeman”, Literary Landmark of the Early Twenties / by Susan J. Turner — New York : Columbia U. Pr., 1963.
Contemporary American Novelists, 1900-1920 / by Carl Van Doren — New York : Macmillan, 1922.
Many Minds / Carl Van Doren — New York : Knopf, 1926, [c1924]
On the Terasse / William Van Wyck — Paris : Edward W. Titus at the Sign of the Black Manikin, 1930.
– Contents: Mr. Babbitt Explains. — Mr. Scott Replies.
The Triumph of the Nut; and Other Parodies / by Christopher Ward — New York : Holt, 1923.
– Includes a parody of Babbitt.
The Romance of Education / by Robert Welch — Boston : Western Islands, [c1973]
– With references to Main Street.
Ptomaine Street; a Tale of Warble Petticoat / by Carolyn Wells — Philadelphia ; London : Lippincott, 1921.
– A parody of Main Street.
The Strange Necessity / Rebecca West — Garden City, N.Y. : Doubleday, 1928.
– Includes “Sinclair Lewis Introduces Elmer Gantry.”
Flesh of Steel; Literature and the Machine in American Culture / Thomas Reed West — Nashville : Vanderbilt U. Pr., [c1967]
– Includes a chapter on Lewis entitled “In Affirmation of Main Street.”
Spokesmen : Modern Writers and American Life / by T.K. Whipple — New York ; London : Appleton, 1928.
Babbitt : a Critical Commentary… / text by Miriam Winkler — New York : American R.D.M. Corp., [c1965]
Main Street : A Critical Commentary / text by Linda Wolfe — New York : American R.D.M. Corp., c1964.
The American Humorist; Conscience of the Twentieth Century / Norris W. Yates — Ames : U. of Iowa Pr., [c1964]
The American Humorist; Conscience of the Twentieth Century / Norris W. Yates — rev. ed. — Ames : U. of Iowa Pr., [c1964]
Literary Opinion in America; Essays Illustrating the Status, Methods, and Problems of Criticism in the United States since the War / edited by Morton D. Zabel — New York ; London : Harper, 1937.
– Includes a chapter on Lewis by Robert Cantwell.
The Brand-X Anthology of Fiction / [compiled by] William Zaranka — Cambridge, Mass. : Apple-wood Books, [c1983]
– “A parody anthology”
– With “Shad Ampersand” by Wolcott Gibbs, a parody of Cass Timberlane.